Sherwood Forest’s origins go back to the late 1800’s when Salem mayor C.S. Hauser conveyed the land, then known as Fries Quarters, to the Moravian industrialist Francis Fries’ daughter, Caroline Fries Shaffner in 1879. She died in 1922 and her heirs later developed the land for a residential subdivision in 1948. For whatever reason it would be named Sherwood Forest. You will see the names of the streets coming from Robin Hood folklore.
To get there from the West End Coffee House, we go through West End, counter-clockwise around Hanes Park, through Runnymede, and cross Stratford Road just like we start most of our westward routes. This time we will continue along Warwick to Reynolds Drive and right on Pine Valley Road. Going down Pine Valley we see the golf course of Forsyth Country Club on the right.
The creation of the country club was started in 1913 with the original clubhouse built about 2 years later. It was significantly renovated and expanded by 1962. The 18 hole golf course has been around since 1923.
At the end of Pine Valley, we take a left on Yorkshire and begin our entry into Sherwood Forest proper. Before crossing over Silas Creek we’ll see Shaffner Park. This section, being on a flood plain, could not be developed so was designated as a park in memory of the aforementioned Caroline Fries Shaffner.
We will bike about British-sounding street names like Dewsbury, Hertford, Doncaster, Saxon and some medieval weaponry like Quarterstaff and Broadsword. The homes are affluent and of a more modern design than what we saw in neighborhoods closer to town. Also noticeably less sidewalks as the post-WWII generation was becoming more automobile dependent.
Coming back to the Shaffner Park area, we take advantage of part of the Silas Creek greenway that runs from Yorkshire to Robinhood Road. We will turn off on Burkeshore Road and make our way through the Shoreland Park neighborhood back into the Buena Vista area.
Emerging from Buena Vista to the northwest end of Hawthorne Road, we pass by R. J. Reynolds High School and Auditorium. The historic campus was built during 1919-1924 from donations by Katharine Reynolds to stand in memory of her late husband.
At the bottom of the hill, we return to our start completing our earlier circle of Hanes Park.